Before deciding to go to Art School at the age of 28, Leonard trained as a Flour Miller, completing an Advanced Certificate in Flour Milling and Food Technology with the London and City Guilds.
After Graduating from The National Art School in 1975, Leonard completed a Dip Ed and an MA VA (Hons) at Sydney University.
Leonard co-authored the Handbook for Australian Potters and is a much published writer about the craft of pottery.
Annual studio sales supplement over 60 group and solo exhibitions over the last 40 years. Leonard has work in 8 public collections in Australia, Germany, Japan, PNG and the Philippines.
Leonard has served as;
- President of the Potters’ Society of Australia twice;
- Editor of Pottery in Australia;
- Vice President of the Crafts Council of NSW;
- Leonard is a Life Member of the Potters’ Society of Australia; (The Australian Ceramics Association)
- Leonard is currently the Presidentnt of the Ceramic Study Group